Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Crash DIY Game for Articulation!





Crash!  Yet another articulation activity adapted from a sight word game!  The idea for this one came from a teacher in my building.  I also have every intention of making language versions to this game including: regular/irregular past tense verbs, plurals, questions ect.

To create this game you need:
Draw Container
35 slips of paper
Word list of target words
Baggies for card storage. 

My container is a (Target Brand) tall food container, I've also seen people using empty nut jars/cans ect.  I decorated a large sized index card and taped it to the outside.  I cut a bunch of standard sided index cards in half for my draw slips. 

Write Crash on 5 of the slips of paper.
Write 10 initial position words, 10 medial position words and 10 final position words (or whatever division of word positions suits your needs) on the remaining slips of paper.  Fold all your papers in half and put them in the draw containers. 


I only made 2 draw containers.  I've been putting the extra sounds into baggies for storage between sessions. 


Game Play:
1) Students can either have individual draw containers or share one if they are working on the same sound.  They draw out a word and practice it in words or sentences depending on their needs. After a student practices a word they put the word in front of them and it's the next player's turn to draw.
2) Students keep drawing words and practicing as play passes around the table.
3) Crashing!  When a student draws out a "Crash!" paper all of the words they collected have to go back into the container (or to the side).  Any words that are discarded after a crash aren't worth points at the end of the game or the student has to start counting again.
4) Winning - you can either decide to have the student who has the most words at the end of the session be the winner, or you can keep track of the biggest number of words collected between crashes and have that student win.

3 comments:

  1. My container is a (Target Brand) tall food container, I've also seen people using empty nut jars/cans ect. I decorated a large sized index card and taped it to the outside. I cut a bunch of standard sided index cards in half for my draw slips. the best baby games online

    ReplyDelete


  2. Thanks Mike. Good to see you had inspiration tonight and took it! Agar.io for Android

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the clarification, I must have misunderstood our tour guide. Either way, I love the emphasis on the baseball tradition in our state, as you put it. zuma

    ReplyDelete