Thursday, January 31, 2013

I Love to Read Month

February is I love to Read Month and my school is doing a month long reading celebration.  As a part of it at my school, students and teachers are trying to keep track of how many pages they read during the month.  We have a goal of reading 1 million pages!

Many of my students are struggling readings, so I'm trying to get them into it in the speech room.  I put "We Love to Read on the back of my door, and I'm having the students fill out hearts with their names and the name of a favorite/liked/recently read book or series of books.  For some students I do some research ahead of time on what books they like to have choices during their speech time.  I didn't have one for one of my students on the spectrum,. so his heart says "Valentine Candy" because once he make a choice he couldn't be guided otherwise.  A few students have labeled the most recent book we've read in speech.

I'll post another picture later when we get all the hearts up.  Today was the "pep fests" to get kids excited about reading, so we just started putting them up.   I share my room with another speech therapist so we will probably have 80+ hearts on and around the door, depending on if we're adding the students who cannot transition to our room.

I printed "We Love to Read, cut it out and backed it.  A right-size heart for this activity does exist on the die-cut machine, unfortunately my school doesn't have it, so I cut them out by hand this time around.

Is anyone else celebrating I love to Read month?

No comments:

Post a Comment