Sunday, April 21, 2013

Popsicle Pronouns

I've worked on pronouns with some of my students for most of the school year.  Some of them have done a great job and are using and understanding pronouns.  However, some of my students, notably the ones on the autism spectrum, can tell me that she goes with girls and he with boys and replace words in sentences, but can't identify what pronouns mean when they find them.  I do as picture book lesson, come across a pronoun, and they can't figure out who it is referring to.  This activity is designed to start bridging the gap between knowing about pronouns and applying that knowledge.

I picked popsicles to have a fun summer theme, but am feeling dismayed by the 7 inches of snow we got on Friday...  Happy April in Minnesota.  So fun summer theme for those of you who are there, and lots of wistful thinking for those of us who aren't. 

Subjective, Obective and Possessive Pronouns are all included.
Subjective: He, She, They, We, It, I, You
Objective:  Her, Him, Them, It, Us, Me, You
Possessive: His, Her, Hers, Its, Theirs, Their, Our, Ours, Yours, Your, Mine, My

Check it out in my TPT store!





Cue Cards for switching pronouns and nouns are included.




The cover sheet for each unit has an optional "cover card" for your card decks to make organization and finding things later much easier.  The types of pronouns are also color coded for easy sorting for when they get mixed up. (We all know it's going to happen at some point!)
There are 7 sentences and questions for each pronoun, and a game card on each sheet.




Grab it over on TPT!

The winner has been picked!  Looking for Carly who left the comment: I love this idea! Pronouns seem to be a challenge for my students right now and this looks like it has an approach that may help!  Email me at eahaider84@gmail.com or message me on facebook!

12 comments:

  1. I always need more ideas for working with pronouns in context! I have some older kids on the spectrum who still have difficulty with pronouns. Thank you so much for creating this, it is going on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Pronouns seem to be a challenge for my students right now and this looks like it has an approach that may help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! For some reason I have a ton of students this year struggling with pronouns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like they work on pronouns all year long!! This looks great! ptownsend26250@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had a conversation today with one of my parents about pronoun usage. This would be perfect! Now if there was an easy way to help the kiddo refrain from using third person to refer to himself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great activity to use with my kindergarten children who continue to struggle with pronouns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the explanations you provide in this activity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like an awesome activity! I have a lot of kiddos struggling with pronouns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great. Love the visuals and that it works on pronouns in context. Always working on this and its hard for kids to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you can work on pronouns in context! I always have a bunch with pronoun usage goals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fun way to work on pronouns!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get request from K and 1st grade teachers all the time for help with students who have trouble with pronouns. This looks like a great activity I can use for some RTI students!!!! Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete